World Youth Day Basic Itinerary, July 2013
July 21 Depart for Rio de Janeiro
July 22 Arrive in Rio, check into lodging, day tour of Rio with your guide
July 23 Ascend Corcovado to Christ the Redeemer Statue, recently elected as one of the seven modern wonders of the world, which sits 2,300 above sea level (subject to availability). WYD begins this evening with Mass
July 24 Morning catechesis, afternoon and evening WYD events
July 25 Morning catechesis, welcoming ceremony with our Holy Father
July 26 Morning catechesis, afternoon WYD events, Stations of the Cross
July 27 Pilgrimage to and participate in the Prayer Vigil with our Holy Father
July 28 Morning Mass with our Holy Father, evening free
July 29 Depart Rio for home or a post-WYD option
This is our basic WYD itinerary. Most groups choose to add a Pre or Post option and usually a day trip as well. Listed below are a variety of initial options from which to choose. Click on an option to see the itinerary.
WYD with optional add-ons:
1. WYD + Sao Paolo and Aparecida....12-Days
2. WYD + Iguassu Falls.....................11-Days
3. WYD + Amazon and Manaus..........12-Days
4. WYD + Minas Gerais......................12 Days
5. WYD + Buzios...............................11 Days
6. WYD + Days in the Diocese............12 Days
7. WYD + Arise Festival.....................13 Days
Day Trips from Rio:
1. Petropolis - Escape the city to Petropolis like emperors past. Enjoy the summer getaway of the Brazilian Emperor in the mountains north of the city. As you meander through the streets, admire the rows of rich palaces and glimpse a day in the life of an emperor at the Museu Imperial. Enjoy Lunch on your own. Take some time to pray in the French neo-gothic Catedral Sao Pedro de Alcantara. Enjoy a short hike through the Parque Nacional da Serra Dos Orgaos.
2. Ihla de Paqueta - Take the ferry from Rio through the Guanabara bay to visit the small island of Iha de Paqueta. Take some time to pray in the Capela de Sao Roque, commissioned by the king of Portugal Dom Joao VI. Meander the colonial streets and beaches enjoying the splendid views of Rio and the bay.
3. Tropical Island Tour- Journey to the Port of Itacuruca, where you will board a schooner for the islands. BBQ lunch included on the island. Enjoy 3 hrs to swim or partake in water sports before returning to the mainland.